Saturday 10 February 2007

May 2005

Destination: Redcliffe Bible College, Gloucester
Start date: Mid-September
Goal of trip: To study Islamic & Cross-cultural issues

Dear friends,

I just thought that it would be good to bring you up to date with what I have been doing and what God is calling me to do.

As you will probably know I spent five years in Coventry working for Coventry Crusaders, a professional basketball team. Part of my job was working in schools doing youth evangelism as well as teaching basketball. Since coming back to Reading I have been working for Reading Rockets, another professional basketball team, providing coaching in schools. I have used every opportunity to share my faith and to tell these children about the good news of Jesus. I have also done some work for an International Language School helping foreign students who are visiting this country to improve their English and as a supply worker for a Care agency. At the moment I am living with some friends who are like parents to me, having known me since I first came to England and made friends with their son, Adrian, at Greyfriars Church in Reading over 17 years ago.

Whilst in Coventry I attended a course at Charis Bible College and whilst there felt that the Lord was calling me to go back to Africa as a youth pastor and evangelist. In January of this year I was accepted as a missionary by Action Partners, previously known as the Sudan United Mission. The plan is for me to go to southern Sudan to work as a youth pastor, using my gifting as a basketball player. This will be at the end of the year. Before then Action Partners would like me to go to Redcliffe Bible College in Gloucester for a term to study Islam, cross-cultural issues, biblical studies etc. This will be from mid-September to late November/ early December. Before doing either I need to raise £10,000 a year for Sudan and £750 for the Bible College. I have already gained the support of Lifespring and Greyfriars churches but still need several thousand pounds. If you feel that you would like to support me, either financially or prayerfully, or both, please let me know. Many thanks.

Yours in Christ,

Emmanuel Sharland

(To learn more about ActionPartners please visit their website at http://www.actionpartners.org.uk)

No comments: